For us in the Pikrakis company, growth is sustainable when it provides long-term economic, social and environmental benefits by taking care of the needs of present and future generations. 3 are the main pillars: economy – society – environment. However, this synergy of all three pillars of Sustainable Development is neither simple nor easy to achieve.
Surely, we need combined weightings of many factors at different levels, often between opposing interests and interests, in conjunction with the following factors: time and economy.
We perceive sustainable development both as a necessity for responsibility and as a business opportunity.
- We have a self contained, modern and fully equipped biological cleaning. Benefit: At the end of the process we have the production of clean water, which is checked in the state science laboratory.
- We placed special polycarbonate on the ceiling of the 4,000m2 building to maximize the use of solar energy over the electricity for lighting.
Benefit: It is not necessary to use electricity in the production area of 4,000m2 (according to the statistics of the 1st operation year the lamp was used only for 18 days!)
- 9 private acres of open-air area with natural vegetation and trees surround the factory plot.
- We have a rainwater collection and storage system. Benefit: We safeguard the available and so valuable water resources.
We manufacture and promote thermal insulating frames of high quality thermal insulation. In addition, they meet the requirements of funded programmes for energy savings.
Benefit: Our products make a significant contribution to the reducing of the energy required for cooling and heating in the existing buildings.
- Aluminum-pre-treatment is completed in 11 steps, without the use of chrome or other environmentally harmful substances, thus protecting humans and the environment.
- We aim to optimize the use of energy-intensive machines so that, through their proper operation and production optimization, their unnecessary use is reduced.
- As for lamps and appliances, we make sure they are, from the beginning, replaced with energy-saving ones. In addition, we ensure that all electrical appliances and machines are switched off when not in use. Benefit: Reduction of the electricity consumption due to unnecessary device operation.
Raw and auxiliary Materials
- The basic raw material for all products is aluminum, a 100% recyclable material
Benefit: 100% of industrial waste is recycled, with lower production energy costs than of the original production, producing a quality product of equal value.
- Use of LPG instead of oil for the operation of the dye polymerization furnacebenefit: Lower carbon dioxide emissions.
- We use as much as possible – based on availability, material and cost requirements – materials with low energy footprint throughout their life cycle.
- Since February 2018, we have changed the packaging policy to reduce (practically) the non-recyclable materials.
- Recycling of 100% of production residues.
- Intra-company recycling. All recyclable materials are separated and recycled. Benefit: Reduction of the volume of waste
- Collection of old window frames and rails when replacing them with new ones and recycling them wherever possible. Otherwise, we ensure that they are deposited in the appropriate locations. Benefit: Reduction of waste in municipal bins and recycling of materials.
- Active participation in the Cretan Energy Cluster, aiming at the cooperation of the companies and entities involved in the production and saving of energy sectors, who are interested in cooperating with each other, promoting the solutions they offer, developing new systems and informing of the public about these applications.